Monday, July 9, 2012

Banoffee Pie Attempt #1

After my trip to the UK, my traveling companion and I both searched for recipes for Banoffee Pie (the tasty dessert mentioned in this blog post). Unfortunately, they all called for making a toffee layer by boiling sweetened condensed milk for a really long time--either on the stove top or in the oven. 

In this summer's record-breaking heat, I really didn't want to turn on the oven or stand over the stove top for a long time, so I tried to find a way to cheat. I melted toffee bits (which I found near chocolate chips in the store) with a little corn syrup. 

The toffee bits melted fine, but they completely hardened in the pie, so that I had a hard candy layer in the middle. Needless to say, I'll need another attempt at this, but I may have to wait until the outdoor temperature comes down!


Banoffee Pie Attempt #1

Here's some photos from my attempt. First, you need a cookie crust. You can use crushed graham crackers or shortbread. I used a combination of vanilla wafers and gingersnaps (pretty tasty, actually).


Then you need the toffee layer. On top of that, add sliced bananas.

Finally, top the bananas with some whipped cream. You can make your own from heavy whipping cream or use Cool Whip.


If you want, you can also sprinkle a little cocoa on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment