Sunday, March 11, 2012

Mom's Date-Nut-Chocolate Chip Dessert

My mom has made this recipe for years. She received it from my aunt, but I have no idea where she got it from. A cross between a cake and a brownie, this moist dessert goes really well with Cool Whip (which of course I forgot when I made this for some friends!).

Mom's
Date-Nut-Chocolate Chip
Dessert

Ingredients:
1 cup dates, chopped
1 tsp baking soda
1-1/2 cups boiling water
1/2 cup margarine
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs. slightly beaten
1-1/2 cups flour, plus 3 tablespoons
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup nuts, chopped (I used walnuts)
1/2 cup sugar

Mix dates, (1 teaspoon) baking soda, and boiling water in a small bowl. Cover and set aside.

Cream margarine and sugar. Add eggs.

Sift flour, salt, and (3/4 teaspoon) baking soda. Add to creamed mixture. Then stir in date mixture. Pour batter in greased 9 x 13 pan. Sprinkle chocolate chips, nuts, and sugar over batter.

Bake in 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes.

Serves 15-20.

No comments:

Post a Comment