Sunday, March 20, 2011

Chocolate Mint Brownies

This dessert is all butter and sugar. Prepare yourself for something extra sweet. I recommend cutting it into tiny bite-size pieces and sharing with many people.

In other words, I recommend not cutting into large pieces like you see below. I think I gave a sugar-high to the round of guinea pigs who tried the slices in the photo. :)

Chocolate Mint Brownies

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) plus 6 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 eggs
3/4 cup cocoa
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 2/3 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon mint extract
green food coloring
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 13 x 9 inch pan. Microwave 2 sticks of butter (1 cup) in large bowl until melted (about 2 minutes). Stir in sugar and vanilla. Add eggs and beat well. Stir in cocoa, flour, and baking powder. When well blended, pour into greased pan.

Bake 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely on wire rack.

Once bottom layer has cooled, you can make the mint layer. Combine powdered sugar, 1 stick butter, water, and mint extract. Beat until smooth. Add about 4 drops of green food coloring and blend. Spread over top of brownies. Cover and refrigerate for an hour or two.

To make chocolate glaze, microwave 6 tablespoons butter and chocolate chips in small bowl for one minute. Stir until mixture is smooth. Allow to cool slightly. Then pour over mint layer. cover and return to refrigerate. Chill at least 1 hour before serving.

6 comments:

  1. I'll have to compare this recipe to one a coworker made once for our dessert pot luck. You're right on the size of those, 1" squares are about as much as people can usually handle before diabetic shock sets in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, yum! These look like Andes chocotlate mints to me, and I bet they are just as tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chuck--You are absolutely right about the diabetic shock. Making a mental note not to serve this one to my mom. :)

    Ginny Marie--Yes, they taste a lot like Andes or Frango mints. They totally melt in your mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to have to try these for my sister's birthday this year. She absolutely loves the mint-chocolate combination. And brownies are her favorite dessert! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, you were asking me about maple syrup recipes...Trader Joe's sells a maple leaf sandwich cookie with a maple cream filling, and they are addictive! I think they only sell them in the fall. I wonder if you could find a recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary-I hope your sister likes them.

    Ginny-I'll have to see what I can find in terms of the maple leaf sandwich cookie. I may have to taste test the ones at Trader Joe's in the fall first. :)

    ReplyDelete