Friday, July 23, 2010

Black Forest Cookies

I love the combination of chocolate and cherry. However, I have to admit that these cookies might be a bit too rich even for me. I chose to make them without the nuts and I used semisweet chocolate chips instead of milk chocolate, and those two changes may have been a mistake. If I were to make them again, I would put in the nuts, be sure to use milk chocolate chips, and perhaps even increase the amount of cherry-flavored Craisins.

Actually, I'm thinking of trying my own concoction of Black Forest Cookies. I'll let you know if I do. In the meantime, this recipe comes straight from the back of the cherry-flavored Craisins package. You can find them in the raisin aisle. They're basically dried cranberries that come in a variety of flavors.



Black Forest Cookies

Ingredients:
1 11.5-ounce package of milk chocolate chips, divided
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 6-ounce package of cherry-flavored dried cranberries (Craisins)
1 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour 3/4 cup of chocolate chips into microwave-safe bowl. Set the remaining chips aside. Microwave for about two minutes. Stir until the chocolate is smooth.

Stir in brown sugar, butter, eggs, and vanilla. Add flour and baking powder. Mix until thoroughly combined. Stir in remaining chocolate chips, Craisins, and nuts.

Drop by tablespoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet. Baking for 12 minutes. Cookies should be puffed yet firm to touch. Cool on cookie sheet for two minutes. Then remove to wire rack.

Yields about 2 1/2 dozen cookies.

1 comment: