Sunday, November 18, 2012

Sugar-Dusted Macaroon Trees (Take #1)

I found this recipe through Martha Stewart's Living magazine, but you can also find it online here. They tasted pretty yummy, but I'm thinking I can do even better. (Gasp! Did I just say I could improve on a Martha Stewart recipe?)

My changes would be basically decorative, not substantive. I'd love to try dying these green so they look more like evergreens and perhaps adding some candy decorations to look like Christmas tree ornaments. If I try this again, I'll post new photos.

Sugar-Dusted Macaroon Trees

Ingredients:
2-1/2 cups shredded coconut
3/4 cup sugar
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
5 teaspoons vanilla
dash of salt
powdered sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, combine coconut, sugar, egg whites, vanilla, and salt. Using 2 tablespoons at a time, use your fingers to form mixture into trees. Place each tree on parchment-lined cookie sheets.

Bake 12-14 minutes. The edges should be golden and trees should be firm.

Cool on cookie sheet on wire rack at least 15 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.

Best if eaten within the first couple days.

4 comments:

  1. This is slightly different than the macaroon recipe I'm familiar with. I've always used sweetened condensed milk, but if they turn out just as well with plain table sugar, that's one less thing to buy. I'll have to try it that way.

    Congratulations on an excellent blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I'll definitely post a picture if I try them "green."

      Delete