Sunday, January 8, 2012

Chicago Public Schools Butter Cookies--Egg Free!

A co-worker suggested I search the web for this recipe. She attended the Chicago public schools, and she remembers these cookies from her childhood. She said she'd found the recipe online was was surprised to learn there were only four ingredients.

The recipe intrigued me because there are no eggs, and I'm always keeping an eye out for treats my nephew with the egg allergy can enjoy.

Although I didn't find the taste of these cookies to be anything exceptional, they were probably the easiest cookies I've ever had to roll.

Chicago Public School Butter Cookies

Ingredients:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
2 cups plus 2 tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add vanilla extract. Gradually add in flour. Roll dough into 1-inch balls. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and flatten with three fingers.
This will make the nice set of ridges the Chicago public school butter cookies are known for.
Bake until golden brown (about 12-15 minutes).

(You can see from the top photo that I sprinkled them with a little colored sugar before baking because I was making them for the holidays.)

Yields: 2 dozen

4 comments:

  1. I'm always up for sugar cookies that don't need a rolling pin! (I always have trouble with sticky dough!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were indeed super easy to make!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard of these somewhere before, too! How funny! Are they called that because they were served at the CPS cafeterias? We had delicious cookies at the cafeteria in high school, I wonder if those are floating around the internet...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kara,

    Yes, these are what they served (serve?) in the CPS schools. The idea came from one of our CIC teachers.

    ReplyDelete