Monday, February 14, 2011

A Blogging Award!

Thanks to Ginny Marie over at Lemon Drop Pie for sending me this beautiful blogging award. :)



Upon receiving this award, I am supposed to write seven things about myself that you may not know. Since the foodie blog roll requires that I keep this blog about food, I will try to tie in my seven things to baking.

1) In the first grade, two friends and I lip synced the song "If I Knew You Were Coming, I'd Have Baked a Cake" for our school talent show. We had an Easy Bake Oven (sadly, not mine) on stage with us, and at the end of the number we
magically pulled a finished cake from the oven. I'm sure the junior high kids must have been rolling their eyes at us.

2) The first thing I remember baking on my own was a batch of corn muffins. Not the Jiffy kind, although I've made those, too. These I made from scratch! I was probably in junior high then, and I was very proud of myself. For a while there, all my mom had to say was, "How about some corn muffins with dinner tonight" and I'd grab the cornmeal!

3) Years later, I saw the musical
Of Thee I Sing with some high school friends, and when the lead character started singing the song "Corn Muffins" I cracked up because all I could think about were all those corn muffins I made back in junior high. Luckily, the play is a comedy, so my laughing fit in.

4) I was inspired to decorate cakes because of my Aunt Dorothy. She made ALL the cakes for family parties: birthdays, first Communions, Confirmations, weddings--you name it. The woman is a cake-baking fiend! :)

5) I've taken all three Wilton cake decorating classes offered at Michaels.

6) Because of the cake decorating classes I've taken, I could theoretically make a wedding cake, but the closest I've come is a two-tiered wedding anniversary cake for my parents. Maybe I'll scan a photo and post it.

7) I'm really hungry for some corn muffins right now. ;)

Note to my writing friend Mary: I think you deserve this award for your blog on writing. Right click on the photo and add it to your own blog. Then tell us seven things about yourself.

5 comments:

  1. Now that wasn't so hard, was it? ;) How great that you tied all the things on the list to baking! I'd love to see pictures of that anniversary cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came over from Ginny Marie's blog, but I think I might have made a huge mistake coming here: I can feel the calories hitting me just by looking at the recipes! I will be back though, I can never resist a good dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whenever we make corn muffins here I always burst into Of Thee I Sing. I just wish I could remember more lines than the scattered ones I do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mara--You are welcome here anytime. Also, I figure any dessert I make myself is calorie-free because I've burned off the calories in the process of working so hard to make them. :)

    Mandy--Ha! Glad I'm not the only one who thinks of that song while making corn muffins. I can't remember much of the song either, mostly just the guy lifting the corn muffin and declaring: "Mary Turner makes the best corn muffins!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm ashamed to admit that the Jiffy kind of corn muffins are the ONLY kind I've ever made... Unfortunately, my grandma's are so dry and bland I could never bring myself to try making them from scratch as she does! Maybe you could share your recipe?? :)

    (And thanks for the award nomination!)

    ReplyDelete