Sunday, January 30, 2011

Perfect Icing for Piping

Last weekend, I was looking for a new kind of icing to do the lettering on the Chocolate Layer Loaf Cake. I was hoping to find a knock-off recipe for the icing used on Mrs. Field's giant cookies online. However, no one seemed to have one. The closest I came was an icing that was used for sugar cookies.

So I decided to come up with my own idea. Instead of adding milk, cream, or water to the icing, I used a dollop of Cool Whip. The result was just what I wanted! A yummy icing that pipes letters and borders beautifully and dries to a semi-hard finish--strong enough to hold its shape, but not as rock hard as royal icing. You can see the result on the finished Chocolate Layer Loaf Cake below.


Perfect Icing for Piping

Ingredients:
4 tablespoons butter
2 heaping tablespoons Cool Whip
2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter. Then add the Cool Whip and stir until combined. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla. Add food coloring, if desired.

As with other icing recipes, feel free to add more powdered sugar if the icing seems too thin. If it's too thick, add more Cool Whip.

Icing will start to harden fairly quickly (faster than normal Wilton icing recipe but not as fast as royal icing). If it hardens on you, stir until it softens again. You might try a few seconds in the microwave, too.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you, coming up with the perfect icing! I never would have thought of using Cool Whip, but then I don't bake as much as you do! Thanks for the link to the bistro at the Lyric Opera...hopefully we'll have a chance to go there! (Meaning, I hope I can get my husband to go see another opera, but if I can't, I know who to call! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a perfect recipe for me to try! I'm not a big fan of the really heavy icings, but this one sounds like it would be light enough for me. :)

    P.S. Hope you're staying safe and warm in this crazy weather!

    ReplyDelete